Skip to main content

How to Tally

     A thought hit me a few weeks ago while I was commuting: surely there must already exist a computer font (or plugin? or...malware?) that can render Arabic numerals (ie: 1,2,3...) as tally marks (ie: /,//,///). A few search engine pages later, I was proven wrong. At first I felt frustrated and stymied. Sad and down. Depressed. Resentful.
    Well, not really. But I honestly didn't get it. Why wasn't there already a font that could take a number (say, 42) and render it as a series of slashes, grouped into fives with bundling-lines, and single slashes for the "remainder."
    As can be the case with a lot of problem solving, saying the question out loud helped me better understand the problem. Of course there was no font to do computational equations for me: all it's supposed to do is style a Unicode value! But then, how was I supposed to display the tally marks I had in mind for my project (more on that in other posts)??!? If only I knew a programmer...

    Oh wait. Time to prove my worth!

    It was actually thanks to the very same internet (which told me there would be no ready made solution) that I discovered a path forward: CSS. Thanks to one helpful message board, I was reminded that one of the many ways CSS can style your text is to strike a line through it. So, the kernel of what would come next was there, but it had yet to "pop." But then it did! Once again, on the commute, it came to me. Side note: it's amazing what having time to let your mind wander can do for creative thinking.
    What came to me was a program, or really, a series of functions. Essentially, ones that would execute the steps described in the second paragraph. So, what would it need to do?

1) Receive an integer (any integer).
2) Obtain the quotient when dividing that number by 5 - and round it (down).
3) Obtain the value of the remainder.
4) Create a string of marks ("|" and "/" and "\" work well enough), to represent each group of 5 or 1.
5) Get CSS to render the strike through the line of four marks to create the distinct/easily-counted groups of five.

So...no problem?

Actually, once the concept was clear, fortunately the execution was relatively straightforward. Javascript (unsurprisingly) has built in methods for each of those steps:

1) User input - or even Math.random() for test cases
2) Use the / operator to divide that number by 5
3) Use the % operator to find the remainder when that number is divided by 5
4) Use a loop and += to construct a string of marks (||||||||||), and append them to the DOM
5) Render the different parts of the strings ("fives" and "ones") in different DOM elements - different enough so that CSS can specifically target the groups of five and apply the styling.

Fortunately for me - it worked! Seriously, it was such a distinct feeling of pride to be able to bring this idea from concept to execution. Without further ado, here is the code:


HTML:

<h1 class="marks" id="marks"><span class="fives"; id="5"></span>
<span id="1"></span></h1>

CSS:

.fives{
    text-decoration: line-through;
}

Javascript:

const 5 = document.getElementById("5");
const 1 = document.getElementById("1");
function tallyMark(count, ones, fives){
    console.log(count);
    let quotient = Math.floor(count/5);
    console.log(quotient);
    let remainder = (count%5);
    console.log(remainder);
    let tally = ""
    let tallies = ""
    fives.textContent = "";
    ones.textContent = "";

for(let i=0; i<quotient; i++){
    tallies += "||||  ";
}
for(let k=0; k<remainder; k++){
    tally += "|"
}
fives.append(tallies);
ones.append(tally);
}


Someday, when this is posted on a GitHub, you can say to yourself "man, I remember when..."
And then, someday, when I'm a rich and famous programmer, your friends whom you showed my GitHubRepo to can say "man, I remember when..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Touch That Dial

    This article was inspired by a technical error I can't replicate through writing, nor refer to in official documentation (unless I missed something ). The overhead digital projector in one of the classrooms I attend, in between displaying its computer signal and a neutral, soothing blue screen displayed something curiously familiar: tv static. you may be familiar...     For a brief instant, the "snow" felt oddly comforting. It made me think of old movies in the basements of old houses. It reminded me that  Hunter Thompson liked to fall asleep to white noise  (white noise, side note, actually having some  therapeutic benefit? ). It made me wonder if my teacher needed to climb on the roof and adjust the antenna.      Then it hit me: what the heck? Technically speaking/as this  helpful reddit page  explains, tv static was originally the cause of an internal mechanism within the television: the amplifier, normally in charge of boosting whatever signal it received (from th

Introducing: Tales from the Other Side

      Hello to my loyal fans. I hope you all have been having an excellent autumn/summer/spring/2022 since you last stopped by, hoping to find what was instead a mysteriously (and no doubt, frustratingly) absent fresh article from me. Apologies for keeping you waiting. But here it is!     Still, I hear you. "What", you might be asking, "could be so important that it would be worth pausing on committing to record these written anecdotes that so many of us have come to enjoy?". Well, I'll tell you what - I got a job! I got a job! I got a job!     Well, sort of. I got an internship. For several months this summer-through-fall I worked as a member of the Frontend Web Team at the Meal Kit delivery company Blue Apron . I was pretty excited for the opportunity. Not only would it be my first job in tech, but the food industry in general is something I've been an enthusiastic part of for most of my professional life. Not only was I excited to retain some semblance of

Since I Been Gone

Since I been gone / I can breathe for the first time / So I'm trekking on, yeah, yeah / Thanks to you, GROW Externships -Kelly Clarkson, paraphrasing     Hello Loyal Readers. Happy New Year(!). What have I missed? Seriously, as far as I can tell it was some pretty uneventful days around the homefront. But, I can hear you all asking: where have you been, Max? Well, I was out of town. Actually, I was out of country - and in Japan!   Actually, what a place to spend December 7th...       So, how did I get there? Although I did ironically visit Matsue - the entire City of which, from the mayor on down, is encouraging learning and building with Ruby - I was unfortunately not brought to Japan for programming reasons. Which is to say - I was, very fortunately, brought to Japan, by a company for other reasons. Specifically: my agricultural skills.     For those who don't know me, a little background may be of benefit: at one time I was a farmer. I had my own back-forty , flock of chic